About the Marine Management Organisation
The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) is an executive non-departmental public body of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
We license and regulate marine activities in the seas around England and Wales so that they're carried out in a sustainable way.
We’re responsible for:
- managing and monitoring fishing fleet sizes and quotas for catches
- ensuring compliance with fisheries regulations, such as fishing vessel licences, time at sea and quotas for fish and seafood
- managing funding programmes for fisheries activities
- planning and licensing for marine construction, deposits and dredging that may have an environmental, economic or social impact
- making marine nature conservation byelaws
- dealing with marine pollution emergencies, including oil spills
- helping to prevent illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing worldwide
- producing marine plans to include all marine activities, including those we don’t directly regulate
More information about our work is on the GOV.UK website.
Guidance on commenting on this blog and our moderation policy.